Jump to content

English exams for UK visas

Settlement and Citizenship

If you or your spouse need a visa to settle in the UK, you must pass an English speaking and listening exam. Trinity GESE exams are approved by the Home Office for visa applications.

B1 - GESE Grade 5 if you want to become a UK citizen.

A1 - GESE Grade 2 if your spouse wants to settle in the UK.


Find your nearest GESE exam centre

You can take your GESE exam at any of our Secure English Language Testing (SELT) centres across the UK. The centre will take your booking and tell you what you need to do. They can answer all your questions about taking GESE.

You’ll need to provide proof of your identity – our Candidate ID policy (PDF, 206KB) explains what ID is acceptable.


Find dates for GESE exams

• GESE exams for visa in April

• GESE exams for visa in May

• GESE exams for visa in June


About GESE exams

• GESE Grade 2 (A1) for spouse/partner Visa

• GESE Grade 5 (B1) for naturalisation

• Tests speaking and listening only; this meets Home Office requirements

• 6 minute (Grade 2) or 10 minute (Grade 5) interview with a Trinity examiner

• Immediate provisional result; you will know if you met the required language level

• Official certificate posted within 2 weeks

• Grade 2 costs £105, Grade 5 costs £125


GESE support and resources

Watch videos of real GESE Exams

The GESE Exam Information booklet (PDF, 771KB) explains what each grade is like, and the level of language that is expected.

ISE for Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas

Trinity's Integrated Skills in English (ISE) is recognised by the Home Office as a valid proof of English proficiency for those applying for Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas.

Trinity ESOL Skills for Life

Trinity ESOL Skills for Life are on the OFQUAL register and are suitable for those settled in the UK whose native language is not English. These learners typically include refugees, asylum seekers, and those from settled communities in the UK.

Learners who take Trinity ESOL Skills for Life in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, can use the qualification to demonstrate that they meet the English language criteria for UK citizenship.

More information 

All Trinity certificates are valid for life but where they are used for immigration we have recommended to the UKBA that only certificates less than two years old should be accepted.

Spouses applying for indefinite leave to remain will also need to pass the Life in the UK test - this is not a Trinity test.

Under current UK immigration rules and unless exempt, anyone applying for settlement or naturalisation must show that they have passed a speaking and listening qualification in English. Trinity’s GESE is recognised by the Home Office as a valid qualification for people who need to meet the English language requirement for settlement and naturalisation. 

Trinity test centres delivering GESE for visa purposes follow strict security procedures and are inspected regularly by the Home Office and Trinity.



Back to top